RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format and headings

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> Eric Chambers said:
>
> I'd just point out that you can already choose threads by
> heading and just decide not to read them.
> However, I don't advise it. I have noticed that the content
> of threads tends to mutate after a while and those
> contributing to the thread are often discussing something
> that is quite different to what the heading indicates. You
> can miss a lot.
> ----
>
> You can solve a lot of your problems by going to the digest
> format. I think most of us know that threads mutate. We've
> learned to handle it without radical changes in format.
>
> We may not all join in every discussion, but some of us
> like to keep in touch with what is happening.

Excellent points, and one can, as I have, change a heading to reflect the changing subject. One can even trace those threads at the YahooGroups pages for Rara-Avis (though its threading can be a bit wonk at times).

And it does seem that the Forum Format discussion is losing useful relevance to the list's topic or genuine aid in discussing that topic. Bill Denton was always uncomfortable when films were discussed at length, seeing this as a more purely literary forum
(and apparently tiring of the endless debate of THE LONG GOODBYE the 1973 film), but I think it hasn't been damaging to be less strict in that dimension, but I think that easing back, at least, on the Forum Format thread, might not be the worst idea at this time.

Todd Mason