Re: RARA-AVIS: Louis Malle film noir classic

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2008

--- "E. Borgers" < webeurop@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Maybe I understood wrongly what you said about
> Elevator to the Gallows, but I do not see in what
> aspect it is the "last" of somthing in film history.

We disagree on such a tiny level but let me clear up what I mean. While I like the work of Louis Malle a great deal, he's not exactly an innovative filmmaker in the way that Jean-Pierre Melville or Jean-Luc Godard are. Le Samourai by Melville is a standard noir story told in a remarkable way. Godard's Breathless takes American crime films and dances down the boulevard with them. (And even more so in Band Apart.) Elevator to the Gallows is also a standard noir told
-- for the most part -- with excellent cinematography and music but based far more in conventional filmmaking than Melville, Godard or many of the New Wave directors. Malle seems to have been swept away by the New Wave and did most of his more memorable films later in his life.

That's all that I meant.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ