RARA-AVIS: Louis Malle film noir classic

From: E. Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 13 Feb 2008

Maybe I understood wrongly what you said about Elevator to the Gallows, but I do not see in what aspect it is the "last" of somthing in film history.
  To the contrary it was, at the time( 1957), a rather modern approach for filming a rather conventional crime story. The film is far better than the crime story it tells. It inovates in form, photography, editing and... music (jazz being the soundtrack music, and not only an occasional support). it's also a classic, but of film noir history.This had to be clarify especially if you refer to "classic" as "old style", "copying the noir that were made before"...etc
  And more French classic noir (in the sense of "tops"the history of the genre), fully innovative, you will also find in J-P Melville works, most of them being done later than Malle's.There are other French film makers of value doing noir films as well, all from the same time period (ending during the late seventies).
  Today, it's true, there is no noir films of high quality in France anymore, and certainly none being innovative.

  E.Borgers
  POLAR NOIR
  http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir/

William Ahearn < williamahearn@yahoo.com> a 飲it :

--- Patrick King < abrasax93@yahoo.com> wrote:

> To me, anyway, this subject isn't off topic at all.
> Hell, Bee-Bop Jazz is the sound track to noir.

All one has to do to be convinced of that is to see Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows with that fabulous sound track by Miles Davis. Miles Davis composed the music for the film and would watch sections and create the tunes. The film might be considered the last "classic" noir from the French.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

__________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping