RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2008

Mark,

Re your comments below:

"That said, I think many of the responses were anything but friendly or appreciative to me, and I will remember that. I don't mind the idea itself being rejected or argued down, but responses like Brian Thornton's will make me think long and hard about posting in the group again. You've been through a similar period of reaction yourself, as I recall, so I imagine you might be able to relate to this."

It's because I can relate to this that I hope (hoped) to head off any bad feelings the reaction to your suggestion might have engendered.

The "I'm-Just-Kidding" smile a person wears while he writes what he thinks is a wry and witty response doesn't necessarily show when the actual response is read. (Maybe this is a good argument FOR all those emoticons; at least it helps prevent misuderstanding.)

I certainly have written responses that I meant humorously, but which were taken seriously. And, as you point out, maybe I've been a little thin-skinned myself at the responses some of my posts have gotten.

My sense was that the responses of Brian and others to yoiur suggestion was in the spirit of good-natured kidding. I can understand your being a little dismayed at the negative response your suggestion got, but don't let it discourage from posting, or from making any future suggestions for improvement.

JIM DOHERTY

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ