Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 18 Feb 2008

Mark wrote:

"With such a format, you proactively decide which threads you wish to receive updates on; and you receive an update for that thread whenever a new post is made in it. The way I work those boards is, I check "New Posts" (also a feature) on them every day or other day, decide which new topics look to be of interest, and subscribe to those."

You have to CHECK new posts, as in you have to activate each new one you want to subscribe to? And you don't get new posts UNLESS you activate them? So, in essence, you are subscribing (and unsubscribing) to new lists every day or two?

If my summary is accurate, count me out. No way I'd want to put that much work into getting what now just appears in my mailbox. If I don't like a thread (which actually happens very really to me), I just delete the emails. And I have found out all sorts of interesting books, authors, etc, in threads I would not have known to opt in on.

There is one thing I would appreciate, though, if people would change the thread headings as the topic changes (this is not to say I have not been very guilty of this myself). For instance, the much of the recent Val Lewton discussion went out under the heading of Black Alibi.

Mark