Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent Read: The Yiddish Policeman's Union

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 18 Feb 2008

Read it. Loved it. Pretty sure I said so here.

Chabon's ability to bring a fictional alternate society (An "Alaskan Jewish" culture with fifty years' worth of clashes/assimilation on-going with the local natives and many immigrants from the lower 48 laid out as a back-drop from a classic hard-boiled police procedural, wow, what a concept!) roaring to life, to paint with such delightfully authorative broad brush strokes, well, it's truly the work of a master.

I just finished his latest, GENTLEMEN OF THE ROAD, for which he says the working title was "Jews With Swords." As a kid who cut his literary teeth on Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard, I loved this tribute to high historical adventure fiction.

And it had a delightfully hard-boiled ending, too.

All the Best-

Brian