Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2008

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. If the group is not collectively interested in making a change, they aren't -- I can accept that. I have real frustrations with the current set-up myself, but maybe I'm an isolated case.

That said, I think many of the responses were anything but friendly or appreciative to me, and I will remember that. I don't mind the idea itself being rejected or argued down, but responses like Brian Thornton's will make me think long and hard about posting in the group again. You've been through a similar period of reaction yourself, as I recall, so I imagine you might be able to relate to this.

Mark

On 2/18/08, JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Re your comment below:
>
> "I'm not disputing the success or value of the group
> -- clearly not, or why would I bother making an
> intended-to-be-productive suggestion? It wasn't
> intended to provoke the defensiveness that it seems to
> have."
>
> I'm sorry if anything I said sounded defensive. If
> the format changes, I'll go along with it. And,
> whether most members agreed with you or not, I'm sure
> they appreciated that your suggestions were meant, not
> as a criticism of the group, but as a way of improving
> the group.
>
> That said, the reason I don't get a sense that people
> are dissatisfied with keeping the status more or less
> quo is because all the responses your suggestion
> generated were unenthusiastic, and it's reasonable to
> presume that anyone who failed to offer an opinion
> either generally likes the current system, or at least
> doesn't dislike it enough to regard a major change as
> being warranted.
>
> JIM DOHERTY

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

Mark R. Harris