RARA-AVIS: Re: Forum Format

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Joy Matkowski" <jmatkowski1@...> wrote:

> Spelling is a major issue to me, but everyone here has always spelled
> tolerably well, and I see no need for spelling aids.
> One of my boards that I follow for work purposes has gone fully
> functional, as you describe it, and the emoticons are frankly somewhat
> infuriating.

Each group has its ethos and its quirks. This one, a hardboiled group, seems to naturally favor the old Tibetan virtue of inscrutability, in the clipped form of the Hammett style. I suspect that emoticons don't go over well with this crowd. But I can easily see other groups adopting a completely different style and loving certain gadgets, including neon-lit emoticons, daily birthday celebrations, news about divorces and such. It all depends on what people seek.

Best,

mrt