Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: Re: movie remakes

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2008

*Blow Up *and *The Conversation *are indeed superior to *Blow-Out *-- no argument from me there! I merely referred to Tarantino because the other poster had mentioned him in relation to De Palma, whom he has acknowledged.

I find it hard to compare the endings of *The Conversation *and *Carrie *-- such different movies in genre and intent.

Mark

On 2/17/08, William Ahearn < williamahearn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Mark R. Harris" < brokerharris@gmail.com <brokerharris%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
> > But I agree
> > with this poster about *Carrie *-- first rate -- and
> > although I don't think
> > *Dressed to Kill *is "better than *Psycho*," it's
> > pretty darn strong. *Body
> > Double *is an interesting effort I'd like to
> > re-visit, and *Blow-Out* is an
> > excellent thriller (acknowledged by Tarantino) with
> > perhaps John Travolta's
> > best performance.
>
> See Carlito's Way. It's really a fine movie with an
> incredible performance by Sean Penn. While all this
> can just be reduced to preference, I take issue with
> Blow Out and could care less what QT thinks of it.
> Blow Up is -- even with some apparent shortcomings --
> a brilliant film that covers material rarely dealt
> with in thrillers. If there's a disproof of the pop
> culture notion of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle,
> Blow Up is it. The Conversation is also a wonderful
> thriller about an odd and damaged individual and I'll
> take the ending of The Conversation over Carrie any
> day of the week. Sometimes less is more. Blow Out is a
> pretty good B movie. To me, for the most part, De
> Palma is always a day late and a sawbuck short.
> Casualties of War being an excellent example. He'll
> probably be remembered for inspiring recycling . . .
>
> William
>
> Essays and Ramblings
> <http://www.williamahearn.com>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and