Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: Re: movie remakes

From: Mark R. Harris ( brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2008

I was afraid to step in here (given my known history of squabbling with WA), but really, I'm more a De Palma fan than not. I haven't seen everything of his, by any means; I need to catch *Carlito's Way*, for example. But I agree with this poster about *Carrie *-- first rate -- and although I don't think
*Dressed to Kill *is "better than *Psycho*," it's pretty darn strong. *Body Double *is an interesting effort I'd like to re-visit, and *Blow-Out* is an excellent thriller (acknowledged by Tarantino) with perhaps John Travolta's best performance. De Palma's consistent weakness in comparison to his master Hitchcock is "third act" problems; he and his screenwriters start the films strongly and then are not always sure where to take them. That's a reason why *Carrie *stands out, because it has got not only a strong ending for De Palma, but one of the best final scenes ever. Even when you know the shocker involved, you can re-play this scene endlessly for sheer pleasure in its craft; and that's true of a number of sequences in De Palma's work. I wouldn't claim for him the psychological depth of a Hitchcock or a Fritz Lang, but I don't think he's so easily dismissable as people sometimes make out.

Mark

--
Mark R. Harris
2122 W. Russet Court #8