Re: RARA-AVIS: The Siege of Trencher's Farm redux

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2008

I met Gordon Williams in a bar in Greenwich Village and spent a day arguing with him in June of 1977. At the time he couldn't believe I'd read his book as well as seen the movie. He was suffering from some deep melancholia which made him very angry and aggressive. He had been divorced. That said, however, why do we generalize about fictional characters? Certainly there are some women who do like a man who takes charge. I've personally met many women who enjoy rough sex play and some who won't have it any other way. To suggest that all women, or people for that matter, want to be treated respectfully as equals is just not true. Some may wish it were true, but there's no real reason to think the world would be better if this were the case. Certainly there are women who have daddy fetishes and rape fantasies just as there are those who like to play the dominatrix. Will anyone deny this today? I don't necessarily think that anyone may actually want to be raped, but according to law enforcement, 80% of rapes in the US go unreported. I can't imagine how they reach this figure if they're
'unreported,' but that's the statistic. So a lot of victims apparently handle this ordeal on their own. I respect the end of both the movie and the book. At the end of the movie I don't think those characters are going to do very well at all. At the end of the book, it does seem that they, as a couple, have crossed the Rubicon. People we read about do not have to be just like us socially, economically, or politically. But we make the best use of literature if we learn from it that people unlike ourselves do exist and sometimes quite comfortably.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ