RARA-AVIS: More on Whitfield

From: Mark D. Nevins ( nevins_mark@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Feb 2008

I liked these two blurbs, from the No Exit Press editions of Whitfield:

- "Raoul Whitfield holds up better than Hemingway." --Pete Hammil

- "Here are 280 pages of naked action, pounded into tough compactness by staccato, hammer-like writing." -- Dashiell Hammett (on GREEN ICE)

By the way, I really like No Exit's catalogue as well as their design, but the book bindings on these older editions seem really shoddy--especially prone to glue drying and cracking and then pages coming loose (and I read books very carefully). Has anyone else had this experience?

Best, Mark Nevins