Re: RARA-AVIS: My First Whitfield

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 17 Feb 2008

Some of Whitfield's short stories, many he wrote under the name of Ramon Decolta, reappeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine (EQMM) in the late 1940s. One series of Jo Gar stories that immediately comes to mind is THE RAINBOW MURDERS published in EQMM from Feb to July of 1949.
  They include: "The Rainbow Murders Begin" (originally titled
"Diamonds of Dread" in Black Mask), "White Duck" ("The Man in White"),
"Yellow Death" ("The Blind Chinese"), "Red Dawn", "Blue Glass", and
"Rainbow Murders End" ("Diamonds of Death").

By the way, does anyone know if this series ever came out as part of an edited volume of Whitfield short stories? I know they are not part of Crippen & Landrau's JO GAR'S CASEBOOK (2002).

Best, Harry