Re: RARA-AVIS: Great Group!

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2008

[mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On
> > Behalf Of shadowkobun
>
> > How many noir/hard-boiled books do you think
> > you've read?
>
> Too many to remember.

Then there is the reverse effect: thinking that you've read something when you haven't. This happened to me recently with a couple of John D.'s old paperbacks. I had the titles confused! Memory is the engine of fiction. Don't invent, remember "the facts"!

On memory: I have the strong suspicion that the main problem is not misremembering but mismemorizing. It has happened to me with quotes and titles. I just memorized them wrong and didn't find out until much later, usually when I came across the quote and found a mismatch. Particularly noticeable in poetry. My brain must have subconsciously wanted to fix the damn poem...

Best,

mrt