RE : RARA-AVIS: Memento

From: Fabienne soldini ( fabsoldini@yahoo.fr)
Date: 14 Feb 2008

I saw Memento few years ago and I like it. It's a very amazing movie. There is a French movie, made later, which uses that king of narrative form. It's "Irr鶥rsible" by Gaspard No鬠with Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci. The film begins by the end, an very violent and savage murder in a night-club. And the spectator learns what happens before and before, the explanation of that murder. It is not excatly a crime movie but it's very noir and cruel: there is a rape scene very hard. But the central thema, in my opinion, is the destruction of a couple, in a very short time, perhaps ten hours. But that movie uses a criminal storie and very violent scenes to express that.

  Fabienne

Jack Bludis < buildsnburns@yahoo.com> a 飲it :
          I accidentally stumbled acrosss the movie "Memento" last night. I had never seen it and never been able to find it at local video stores.

It's an interesting presentation with an inside out plot that has to be deciphered by the viewer but will never be deciphered by the lead who has an extreme case of short-term memory loss. If you put it together chronologically (as well as you could) it would be a kind of sad-sack noir.

Some of it doesn't hang together, but so what. Still interesting. The beginning of the movie is the end of the story, the end of the movie is the beginning of the story, and in context Carrie-Anne Moss (of the Matrix Trilogy) is as bitch of a femme fatale as their ever was.

The lead, Guy Pierce, was one of the detectives in the movie "L.A. Confidential" and I understand he will be playing the lead in the movie of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." (I looked it up.)

For those who recommended it, thanks.

A nice pic for a Rare Bird to stumble over when he's spinning the dial. I have no idea what network it was on.

Jack Bludis

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/

__________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs