Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: 77 Sunset Strip

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2008

--- JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But nowhere in 77 SUNSET STRIP was there a credit
> along the lines of "based on the character created
> by
> Roy Huggins," even though he wrote the novel
> introducing Bailey, the short stories featuring
> Bailey
> (including the one adapted into the CLIMAX episode),
> and, finally, provided the storyline for the debut
> episode.
******************************************************* I don't know for a fact, but I'd be willing to bet that Huggins sold the rights to the names and characters to Warner Brothers outright for one fee. In that case they're not obligated to associate his name with the programs losely based on his ideas. Both Spillane & Gardner were hugely successful authors, both millionaires from their characters and well represented by counsel. The addition of their names to a show enhances the show's credibility and these writers receive royalties every time the show is aired. They were part owners or co-producers of the shows.

So why do writers take lousey deals? You work on a story and then you offer it around. Nobody picks it up. Suddenly Warner Brothers wants it but they don't want you. They'll give you say $10,000 for the ideas lock-stock-and-barrell. If you don't sell it, you get to keep the idea, but no one else may ever offer you anything for it. Tony Hillerman ran into this very problem when he sold Joe Leaphorn to TV producers who did nothing with him, but Hillerman couldn't use him either. That's how Hillerman created Jim Che! Hillerman had to BUY Joe Leaphorn back from these people so he could use him again in a book! This is a very common scenario. Ten grand is a hell of a lot of money for something you whipped up on your computer. But you feel awful if the franchise makes $100,000,000 and you get none of it. Ken Keasey sold COOCOO'S NEST to Kirk Douglas for $500, the movie made millions and Keasey had to sue Douglas to get any more out of it. I believe they settled for $100,000, but Keasey would have made a lot more if he owned the rights to his own work. Still, it's hard to know what to do. $500 is
$500.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs