Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: Bloch/Woolrich

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2008

>I wouldn't call Marjorie "strong, reserved,
>> determined, and confident." She's loyal to a fault.

This is a generalization that fits Woolrich's female characters relative to his male protagonists. It's a characteristic of his books that shows up over and over again.

> As to the unpredictability of the ending, perhaps it's
> because I write, too, but I saw it coming very early
> on. It's good! Don't get me wrong. But I did expect
> it.

All of it? I don't see how you could have seen all of it coming. I've never been able to figure out how any Woolrich novel ends except maybe Phantom Lady.

Jeff