RARA-AVIS: Re: Barry Gifford

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2008

 "Nathan Cain" IndieCrime@gmail.com wrote:

<< I just finished The Sinaloa Story by Barry Gifford, a writer probably best known for Wild At Heart, which David Lynch made into a movie. The book started out with a plot (A hooker and her boyfriend plot to rob a pimp) but it fell apart halfway through. The narrative just completely disintegrated into a bunch of very loosely connected vignettes that have nothing to do with the original plot, and the protagonist disappears only to reappear at the end, after being shot and left for dead by some cult members, who have no connection to anything else in the story. It's never explained how he met them or what happened. (I can see why David Lynch likes him so much. They think alike.) Does anyone know if his other works fail as spectacularly as this one?

THE DEVIL THUMBS A RIDE -- Gifford's book of noir film "reviews," is great.

Some of his stuff is very good -- more prose-poem than typical plotted narrative, as you note about SINALOA STORY. Which, I might mention, is the last thing by him I read. And that was published several years ago.
- Duane www.pulprack.com Changes in life? A Place to Start: www.first30days.com

--------------------------------- Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.