Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: Bloch/Woolrich

From: Paul Farrell ( pmf_nz@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: 13 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
<jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

> One personal Woolrich effect I've noticed: the impression he maks
> depends very strongly on my mood. This is not very noticeable when I'm
> reading Chandler, Gores, Thornburg or John D. I think Woolrich is
special.

Agreed - I find that when I read a book by Woolrich (or, at times, David Goodis), I have to really be in the mood for some serious dark and gloom. I started reading NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES for Woolrich month, but got bogged down in the oppressive gloom fairly early on. The same has happened in the past with I MARRIED A DEAD MAN, though I have read and liked PHANTOM LADY and THE BRIDE WORE BLACK.