Re: RARA-AVIS: 77 Sunset Strip

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 12 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
<jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Vorzimmer <jvorzimmer@>
wrote:

> > To a certain extent, but with similar characters like Peter Gunn's
> Wilbur, they definitely border on caricature.
> >
> > A&E had started releasing Peter Gunn on DVD, but seem to have
> abandoned the idea of any more volumes.
> >

> My impression is that television scriptwriting has improved
enormously
> since those days. It may seem paradoxical to say this of the
> quintessential trash medium, but from a technical point of view, it
> seems clear to me, quite independently of the types of stories.
>
> Best,
>
> mrt

I agree with this. There were certainly some great scripts written in the 1950s and 1960s--Playhouse 90, Alfred Hitchcock Presents are two that come to mind that often featured excellent writing. But the overall quality of the medium is definitely higher today. Of couse, back then there were three networks and only three choices. It's amazing some of the plot holes that appear in the old detective shows that writers didn't bother to paper over because they didn't have to.

Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for nostalgia and not overly demanding of authenticity or production values as witness the batch of B-westerns I've purchased recently. Some things are just fun. You bet-chum Red Ryder!

Richard Moore