RARA-AVIS: Re: A Project

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 12 Feb 2008

jsbuturn is asking for:

> Approval from moderators of rara-avis so that what I plan to do is
> shared by everyone.

But what kind of approval do you mean? Approval to proceed with your project, or to extensively quote us?

And do the moderators even have the right to speak for everyone on this list?

This is a discussion group; not (generally) a formal academic symposium. We're at times curt, rude, obscene, witty, impulsive, trenchant and/or goofy. And sometimes just plain wrong. Sometimes all in the same post. But often, they weren't written with posterity (or even cyber-posterity) in mind. You should consider that as well.

You might also have to clear it with Yahoo. I think they've made some slippery claims in the past of owning everything we say here.

The same goes for my site, which might be cited. I have no problem with simple links to it. I'd be flattered.

And a short quote or blurb is one thing -- I'd probably have no problem with that, assuming it's accurate and properly attributed. But wholesale quoting of stuff from my site, written by myself or others, however, is another matter.

If you're going to quote people, regardless of the source, try to get their permission (particularly if it's a substantial quote) and of course be sure to attribute it. And I mean THEIR permission. Not a moderator's, not an editor's.

That's just common sense and courtesy. The stand-up thing to do. Or should be. Yet you'd be surprised how often people don't bother.

I'm tired of material I've written showing up, word for word
(occasionally including typos and errors), on Wiki and other web sites, on discussion groups, or in print, without attribution, mis- attributed or simply ripped off, appearing under someone else's byline.

Having said that, though, creating (and maintaining) a thorough listing of hard-boiled links sounds like one hell of a project. Be prepared to kiss a good chunk of your life goodbye. It'll be a daunting task, but it could also be an incredible resource for the rest of us, and a lot of fun for you.

Good luck, and if you need any help, feel free to drop me a line.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site 998-2008 10 Years of P.I. Thrills