RE : RARA-AVIS: Gilles de Rais and Bloch

From: Fabienne soldini ( fabsoldini@yahoo.fr)
Date: 11 Feb 2008

I don't heard about a refutation of the storie of Gilles de Rais. He was execed for the murders he comitted and the historians said there were a lot of children bodies and torture instruments in his castle.
  "Concerto pour l'鴲angleur" that I've transated by "Concerto for a strangler" is Woolrich novel. It's about a man who kills his victims by strangulation. One chapter for one murder till the end where the reader discovers who is that myterious strangler.

  Fabienne

uri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi> a 飲it :
          Haven't the stories about Gilles de Rais been refuted by recent historians? I remember reading that it's been said that the stories were invented because some people wanted him to look bad. (And he certainly did, didn't he?)

Robert Bloch is a noir writer, in my mind, and he even makes fun of the shadowy effects of many noir films in THE SCARF, which some think is better than PSYCHO. Bloch wrote about Ed Gein in an intro in a book whose title I forget, but it was reprinted in MURDER PLUS, a late eighties anthology of true crime writing.

I think Fabianne means CONCERTO FOR A DEAD BEAT. That's also a noirish crime novel, albeit not one of Bloch's best.

Juri