RARA-AVIS: Gilles de Rais and Bloch

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 11 Feb 2008

Haven't the stories about Gilles de Rais been refuted by recent historians? I remember reading that it's been said that the stories were invented because some people wanted him to look bad. (And he certainly did, didn't he?)

Robert Bloch is a noir writer, in my mind, and he even makes fun of the shadowy effects of many noir films in THE SCARF, which some think is better than PSYCHO. Bloch wrote about Ed Gein in an intro in a book whose title I forget, but it was reprinted in MURDER PLUS, a late eighties anthology of true crime writing.

I think Fabianne means CONCERTO FOR A DEAD BEAT. That's also a noirish crime novel, albeit not one of Bloch's best.

Juri