RARA-AVIS: Noir City

From: kellistanley83 ( kelli@kellistanley.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2008

Hello, Rare Birds--

Just wanted to let you know that Noir City 6
<http://www.noircity.com/noircity.html> , San Francisco's preeminent film noir festival, was a fantastic experience and huge success ... complete with appearances by legendary actresses (the absolutely amazing Marsha Hunt and Joan Leslie), James Ellroy, Foster Hirsch, some terrific writers (Megan Abbott, Cornelia Read, David Corbett, Christa Faust) and the debut of Eddie Muller's film, The Grand Inquisitor ... an incredible achievement. I only wish I'd been able to attend every day ... I'm a passport holder, but I'm also a working writer, so that wasn't possible.

If you get a chance to see it, please do. Eddie's planning to show it at Noircon, and it's worth the registration price to see the movie.

If you'd like a play-by-play of the Noir City 6 activities, check out The Evening Class blog <http://theeveningclass.blogspot.com>
(http://theeveningclass.blogspot.com). If you're interested in my reviews, you can go to Writing in the Dark
<http://kellistanley.blogspot.com/> , my blog.
(http://kellistanley.blogspot.com/).

And of course, you can see some shots from The Grand Inquisitor
<http://www.grandinquisitormovie.com/> (and read the terrifying back story) at the site (http://www.grandinquisitormovie.com/). The original story is available in A Hell of a Woman (not the Jim Thompson title), which I highly recommend.

One more thing: if you love film noir, and haven't joined the Film Noir Foundation <http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/contribute.html> , please check it out. A donation in any amount will get you the newsletter, which is full of informative and provocative articles you'll find nowhere else. Thanks to the FNF, Joseph Losey's The Prowler has been saved ... the new print premiered the same night as Eddie's film.

Kelli

--
Kelli Stanley
NOX DORMIENDA (A Long Night for Sleeping)

Welcome to Roman Noir.