Woolrich and Whitfield, was Re: RARA-AVIS: Fright & Savage Bride

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 07 Feb 2008

Just to clarify...by 'over the top prose' I mean that in GREEN ICE Whitfield's writing is very hard-boiled, even occasionally becoming borderline self-parody. In FRIGHT Woolrich seems to write in a very ornately formal way. His descriptions of Press's intended, Marjorie, are almost poetic or at least the noir equivalent of poetic. This is a marked contrast to the more traditional noir economy of word use. Thus, both Woolrich and Whitfield, in these novels at least, adopted what I am describing as a kind of 'over the top' style, albeit in very different ways.

My question is did either author intend for these stories to turn out this way or were they merely the results of different kinds of literary experimentation?

Any insight on either author would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Harry

Quoting harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca: