RARA-AVIS: Re: Erskine Caldwell...

From: m23to53 ( library.john@virgin.net)
Date: 05 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Williams" <cs_will@...> wrote:

> A bit redundant now because you've heard what you wanted to hear, but
> I can't help but join the Erskine Caldwell chorus of approval. Al
> introduced me to him (not literally) some time ago and I couldn't
> believe he'd slipped me by up until then. TB, GLA and THE BASTARD
> (gotta love the title) are brilliantly observed, absorbing and full
> of demonic humour. And I don't think I've read a more stealthily
> powerful short story than Savannah River Payday.
>
> Charlie

Am I right in saying that Caldwell's later books were first published in the UK? I am sure I read it in an aticle on him which said that it was a sign that he had lost the interest of American readers.Seems a sad ending to his career if true. Can anyone confirm? I remember in my early days in the library then that we always ordered his books pre-publication, as our stock selector saw him as a classic reprepresentative of American literature - though the issues the books got did not exactly show that readers felt the same.

Regards John