RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler on Woolrich

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 04 Feb 2008

No question, Woolrich was a great idea man. He was a master of the twist ending. I don't know if he was the originator of most of them but many of his endings have been imitated and borrowed many times over the years. Of course I can't mention any of them without ruining the story... hence the twist. But most modern thriller movies with a
"shockingly original" twist ending, Woolrich was probably there first.

Of course many of these endings fly in the face of logic or believability, but usually the ending is so clever you don't care.

--Chan