Re: RARA-AVIS: Female Authors

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <funkmasterj@...> wrote:

> Any specific Joyce Carol Oates recommendations? I know she's got a
ton of books, I have no idea which are Hardboiled/Noir...

Definitely ZOMBIE, and FOXFIRE is noirish enough. Some of her best work is in short fiction, and the story that made her reputation, "Where are You Going, Where Have You Been?" is a devastating piece of work very Very relevant here. The film made from it, SMOOTH TALK, is an utter sellout, a real trivialization. And even with that, not too bad a film...till it's compared with the short story.

Very little of her work isn't at least somewhat grimly criminous...I haven't yet read RAPE: A LOVE STORY, for example, but I suspect I will.

Todd Mason