Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Joe Gores as Gangster Writer

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 02 Feb 2008

Jim,

Thanks for the clarification. That makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of gray area as well, not just in Gores's work but in general. A routine case becomes personal for a professional investigator and by necessity and/or choice an amateur takes on the role of investigator.
  Any good examples spring to mind of these kinds of transitions?

I'm sure there are many, many examples in noir literature. Ironically enough, typical noir protagonists rarely live in black and white worlds.

Best, Harry