RARA-AVIS: Ace in the Hole

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2008

I just finished watching Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole, with Kirk Douglas as Charles Tatum, an utterly unscrupulous reporter Charles Tatum. While it's not a crime movie, it certainly is a noir movie, with a main character who sets about engineering his own destruction right from the start. Douglas was good, if a bit over the top, and the movie did an excellent job of capturing a literal media circus. I think one of the criteria for a work of art to be great is that it has to hold up over time. If anything, I think Ace in the Hole's story is more relevant now in our media besotted culture than it was when it was made, and newspapers, radio and television were all there were. All in all a very good film.