Re: RARA-AVIS: female authors

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2008

Ruth Rendell is among the best crime writers alive. Her proceedural stories are compelling and her psychological stories are terrifying. Try Lake of Darkness, The Bridesmaid, or Road Rage. If you read one, you'll probably read the rest. I can't get enough of her. Then there's Patricia Highsmith. Not really as gifted at plotting as Rendell, but nonetheless compelling in her characterizations and locals. The Talented Mr. Ripley is one of my favorite novels. And Joyce Carol Oates has written many noir novels. My favorite is Wonderland, but just as good is We Were the Mulvanys, and Middleage. All three of these women are great stylists who play with darkness and light in themes as well as in location.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs