RARA-AVIS: Re: Shine bar

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2008

The state of Florida ran into some criticism last year when it created an ad campaign aimed at minorities and the central word was "Shine" as a play on Sunshine State, the long-established slogan. The campaign was created by a minority-owned ad agency and focus group tested before minority audiences and no one raised the racist stigma. According to a newspaper article, the term "Shine" derives from "shoeshine" as in shoeshine stand. Here is an article on the "Shine" campaign: http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007711280339

I imagine someone has written a history of racial slurs. Many years ago when I worked in the Senate, I heard one of the oddest race-based terms from someone who worked for Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina. The Helms staffer said something like "That will keep the Freds happy" or something like that. Asked to explain, he said that in the office they used the word "Fred" to signify any black person. It was an office code they used to identify (say when passing along a telephone call to another staffer) someone as black without anyone overhearing the term knowing what was going on.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"