RARA-AVIS: Re: Shine bar

From: kevinburtonsmith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 01 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "capnbob@..." <capnbob@...> wrote:

> As usual, Kevin, you make some astute observations. Just one minor correction, The term
used in
> FAREWELL, MY LOVELY was "smoke joint," not "shine bar." Unless the latter was used later
in the
> book and I've forgotten.

Dang, you're right. The word "shine" is used several times, mostly by a racist cop whom Marlowe clearly disdains, but the phrase "shine bar" doesn't. "Dinge joint" is, though. (Ain't Google's book search feature fun?)

I must have picked it up from Hiney's biography of Chandler. Evidently he thought it was in there too. Or maybe I got it from the remake with Mitchum, which I watched again sometime last year... Hmmmm, was "shine" more acceptable in the seventies than "smoke"?

Anyway, I stand corrected.

Kevin