RE: RARA-AVIS: female authors

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 01 Feb 2008

> From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On
> Behalf Of funkmasterj@runbox.com
> I tend to shy away from female authors, because I prefer male perspectives
(for
> crime novels). But I'm willing to look: who are the best female hard
boiled & noir
> authors?
> Jordan

I don't have any significant recs -- maybe Leigh Brackett or Vicki Hendricks
(and Megan Abbott seems to get unanimous praise around here, though I haven't yet had the pleasure) -- because I have the same inclination when it comes to crime fiction...always have. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has consistently found the female perspective a bit too cozy for my tastes. I suspect that comes off as a bit sexist, but as long as we're fessing up among friends...

I did, however, just finish A HELL OF A WOMAN (Busted Flush Press), a noir anthology of mostly women writers, and there were some good, solid stories in there.

Ron C.