Re: RARA-AVIS: female authors

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 31 Jan 2008

Jordan asked:

"I tend to shy away from female authors, because I prefer male perspectives (for crime novels). But I'm willing to look: who are the best female hard boiled & noir authors?"

I highly recommend Vicki Hendrick's work, beginning with Miami Purity. I just finished Christa Faust's Money Shot, which was very good. Of older stuff, there's Dorothy Hughes, whose In A Lonely Place is very good. Interestingly, she and Leigh Brackett (always? I haven't read enough of them to know) often wrote from a male perspective. Patricia Highsmith's Ripley books re alos from a male perspective. If you want the flip, Robert Eversz has a first person female series about Nina Zero. I've heard raves about Val McDermid, but I've never read her. Oh yeah, I was blown away by Denise Mina's Garnethill, need to get others by her. I've enjoyed several of Sara Paretsky's PI novels, but some find her too strident in her politics.

Mark