Re: RARA-AVIS: William S. Burroughs

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 31 Jan 2008

The late trilogy is called "The Western Lands," (Cities of the Red Night, The Place of Dead Roads, The Western Lands) and it is
(surprise, surprise) a Western. I believe one of Burroughs first efforts was a collaboration with Jack Kerouac called "And The Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks," or something of that sort. It is, if I'm not mistaken, a hardboiled effort. I perused it when it was released an a postmortem Burroughs anthology, but I can't say I remember it very well, and I'm at work so I don't have the book handy. Burroughs was definitely influenced by hardboiled and noir fiction, and one of the major conceits of his early works involves the Nova Police trying to stop Intersellar criminals called the Noval Mob from destryoing the planet. So Burroughs tended to play with the three major genres
(Westerns, Sci-fi and Crime) as part of his rather ecletic, surreal style. He was influenced early on by the work of Jack Black, who sounds like an interesting character:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Black_%28author%29