RARA-AVIS: William S. Burroughs

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 31 Jan 2008

Don't you think William Burroughs fits the description of a writer who transcends the crime and thriller genre? JUNKIE is a deeply noirish book and QUEER takes it to a more experimental level. The beginning of THE NAKED LUNCH is quite hardboiled and noir - the rest of the book is totally something else, though. I haven't read his late trilogy (what's it called now, The Lands-something), but I just read a review saying it plays with the thriller and mystery genres.

Apart from that, Georges Perec must've known the American noir. He wrote the screenplay for SERIE NOIRE, a 1976 film based on Jim Thompson's novel
(forgot which).

By the way, has anyone seen the early movies that Jean-Patrick Manchette wrote in the sixties? How are they like? Anything like his novels or just pure euroexploitation? (Check the IMDb for titles.)

Juri