RARA-AVIS: Re:The Saint

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 29 Jan 2008

" DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net" Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 pm (PST)wrote

                   I was in a used bookstore today with a stack of Saint books. Are they
 any good? Any better than others?

 Mark
...................................................................... They vary considerably. The earliest were full length 'novels' and have no real style. They are potboilers, but they are fun though if you like that kind of thing. As the series went on, Charteris wrote mostly short stories. For a while he got better and better at it. The books of the thirties and forties are the best. The earlier books were set in England and Europe, the later ones in the U.S. The U.S. short stories are quite good. The quality of the series got worse in the 50's and those written in the 60's and later are pretty dire. Often written by other writers. The character went through two periods of great popularity, first with the series of movies and then with the Roger Moore TV show. The more popular the character got, the worse the books got. Val Kilmer's more recent Saint movie had nothing in common with the original character. For mine, the saint has not yet been done effectively on the screen. I have a soft spot for the Saint because the serendipity that led to my opening a copy of 'The Saint and Mr Teal' and laughing myself silly back in the 60's started a journey which has led me here.

--------------------------------- Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.