RARA-AVIS: Re: "...medical and legal support for the traditional libel against

From: jxshannon2@aol.com
Date: 28 Jan 2008

I think it's probably a good idea to be a bit less defensive about the crime/noir/underclass genre, whenever this hoary debate comes around. Noir writers do what they do, and some do it damn damn well. There are also a number of utterly unreadable navel-gazing "literary" novels (The Corrections, anyone?)--but there are also people like Robert Stone (the early books) and a dozen others who write superb hard-edge fiction that has all the features I love about noir. I read Richard Ford's "The Ultimate Good Luck" over and over (If you love noir you really must read this) and marvel at it and I can't stand his later stuff about real estate sales. Jesus. I love fiction about a person thrust out into an ambiguous world of danger, addressing the really great moral issues of any time, and...well...you can guess what I hate. John Shannon

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489