Re: RARA-AVIS: andrew vachss

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@...> wrote:

> You may be right and I may have a wrong impression here...I also
think that
> the fact that not much of foreign crime fiction (noir or not) is
discussed
> comes simply from the (sad) fact that not much is translated...

That is true. However, there are people who read other languages, and this list has an international membership, so you can't be sure of what people do read even within crime fiction. Of course, it would be silly of me to discuss, say, Catalan noir when so few people read the language or have access to the books, but I do read it. In fact, I'm preparing a short article on Manuel de Pedrolo, the greatest Catalan novelist in my opinion, who wrote several powerful noirs (he also wrote great novels of dark fantasy). Maybe somebody will take a chance with a translation of his noir books, but until then, a discussion of his work would be hard...

Best,

mrt