RARA-AVIS: Re: Interface by Joe Gores

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jan 2008

Chuck,

Re your question below:

"Does someone have a recommended read besides
_Interface_ ?"

Well, if you don't like the DKA series, and particularly GONE, NO FORWARDING (my favorite of the novels), I'd take any recommendations from me with a grain of salt.

That caveat having been extended, I'd recommend MENACED ASSASSIN, a police procedural in which the head of SFPD's Organized Crime Detail squares off against a mob hit man, while Gores manaages to suggest that GENESIS and THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES might not be that incompatible after all; A TIME OF PREDATORS, his first and one of his best, and a great example of Gores's handling of the revenge theme; and his two non-DKA short story collections, MOSTLY MURDER and SPEAK OF THE DEVIL.

If you think your reaction to GONE, NO FORWARDING might have been a fluke, you might also want to try STAKEOUT ON PAGE STREET, to see if DKA works better for you in small doses.

JIM DOHERTY

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs