Re: RARA-AVIS: JohnD's old stuff

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2008

--- jacquesdebierue < jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is a possibility that Leonard, with his
> special technique, is
> showing women _only_ from the point of view of the
> dumbish and vicious
> male characters that populate his novels. That would
> make some sense,
> but as a reader, I am neither Elmore Leonard nor one
> of his male
> characters. I am watching the thing...

You might consider that the "dumbish and vicious male characters that populate his novels" would attract equally ruthless females. The reason I love Leonard's work is that it depicts, I'd say pretty accurately, crime as it's actually committed in the present world environment. Because the women, or any of the characters in Leonard's work, are outside of your experience, certainly doesn't attest to the idea that such people don't really exist. Perhaps you don't know any criminals, male or female. I must admit, I do know such people and I think Leonard depicts them with a great deal of understanding.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs