RARA-AVIS: Re: Depressing Ain't the Word...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 24 Jan 2008

Dave wrote:

> For a 6000 word story:
>
> AHMM, EQMM: roughly $360 (at least that's roughly what I'm getting
> paid
> by them--they might have a sliding scale for better known writers)
>
> Murdaland: $150
>
> Out of the Gutter: $0 + contributor's copy
>
> Crimewave: Don't know
>
> depressing, ain't it??

Depressing? That's the politest word I can think of.

And THRILLING DETECTIVE pays a whopping $15 for original P.I. short stories, and tosses in a free advertising banner and our undying gratitude. Whoopie!

For those of you not scared away from that, though, we are looking for short stories (or excerpts) for our 10th anniversary this Spring.

The per word rate, I think, is about the same as what Black Mask once offered. Back in 1940.

Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com