Re: RARA-AVIS: JohnD's old stuff

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Jan 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...>
> Come on! How about diabolical Jean Shaw in La Brava?
> Both Jackie Burke and Sheronda in Rum Punch? The
> indomitable Karen Sisco in Out of Sight. And my
> personal favorite, Amelia of Cuba Libre. I could go
> on. Earl Stanley Gardner had trouble depicting women
> effectively or realistically. Leonard's women are
> fabulous and memorable.

I find that they don't behave and talk like any women I've known. Psychologically, his female characters seem wrong, out of focus, even stereotyped. Curiously, the one case where he hit the nail is _Touch_, not a crime novel (a very funny book, probably forgotten).

There is a possibility that Leonard, with his special technique, is showing women _only_ from the point of view of the dumbish and vicious male characters that populate his novels. That would make some sense, but as a reader, I am neither Elmore Leonard nor one of his male characters. I am watching the thing...

Best,

mrt