RARA-AVIS: Sin Pit by Paul Meskil

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2008

This book I squeezed in between Gores and Woolrich. It came up recently when I offered up my list of the top 150 hardboiled novels as a book I overlooked
(It wasn't on Allan's list either). By the time a book is mentioned for the third or fourth time, I'm usually paying attention and try to track down a copy. Well, let me say this one is truly a gem, a lost classic on par with Black Wings or Driven. It has all the elements of my formula for the hardboiled novel--a perfect ten in that respect. It was published originally by Lion in 1954 when they were also publishing Goodis and Thompson and reprinted recently by Gary Lovisi's Gryphon Books (available through abebooks.com).

Jeff