RARA-AVIS: Interface by Joe Gores

From: Raymond Tait ( raymond.tait@cai.cam.ac.uk)
Date: 23 Jan 2008

I have just finished reading this book which took me by surprise. I had only previously read the three earliest DKA novels and was expecting a similarly enjoyable read. With Interface the tone and style is very different. It is one of the darkest and most brutal books I have read in a while and the Docker character cuts a grim swathe through the novel. It is populated by a collection of characters who are either fairly unsavoury or hopeless of at best hard and cynical. Nobody is particularly likeable. Lots of foul language as well. Then of course there is the twist which cannot be discussed. Very clever. Anyway the book is recommended if you are feeling strong.

Reading this book and reflecting on how different it was from my memory of his style made me think of those other authors whose style varies considerably - Block and Westlake for example. Are the other Gores books in the same vein as either DKA or Interface or does he do different styles as well?

My other question is, how should his name by pronounced?

Raymond