Re: RARA-AVIS: Mercenary Questions

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2008

> Usually attributed to hardboiled, but unnoirish, lexicographer Samuel
> Johnson.
>
> With the novellas you're writing, have you tried running them past
the
> magazines, such EQMM, AHMM, CRIMEWAVE and possibly now MURDALAND and
> OUT OF THE GUTTERS, that might actually publish novellas?
>
> Todd Mason

EQMM + AHMM will occassionally publish novellas up to 20K word length
(roughly 80 book pages), but they won't publish many of those--and usually reserve that for well-known writers.

Being a bit of a smart aleck, I'd like to ask some of the nonwriters here to guess what the above magazines would pay for a longish story
(say 6000 words). I think the answer might be a bit shocking, especially since there was a time during the early pulps when writers could sustain themselves with short stories.

--Dave Z.