RARA-AVIS: Re: Shark-filled Custard

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2008

There's a nice subversive streak in the best of Willeford. My favorites: The Woman Chaser, Cockfighter, Grimhaven (which is one of the most unrelenting darkest books I've read). I did like Shark- Infested Custard quite a bit, but the structure (telling a story from different perspectives) was unusual for him. If this is the best noir novel you've read, I've got to strongly recommend Hell of a Woman, Savage Night, The Getaway and Swell-Looking Babe (all by Jim Thompson), Name of the Game is Death by Dan Marlowe and Anyone's My Name by Seymour Shubin.

--Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <funkmasterj@...> wrote:

> I finished reading this last night, the only Willeford I've read.
This is the best noir novel I've ever read! Unlike James Cain, the situations are believable. It is both dark and humorous at the same time. What are the other Willeford books like?