RARA-AVIS: Mercenary Questions

From: mburch5717 ( mburch5717@AOL.com)
Date: 21 Jan 2008

I've always had an immense amount of respect for the authors who produce the work we love to read -- particularly the writers who have never broken out but keep going back and writing wonderful stuff year after year. You really have to admire the dedication and work involved.

A while back there was a very interesting thread about the publishing side of the business but I'm curious to understand what the author's side is like. Since we have so many authors and others who are knowledgeable about the publishing business, I would be very interested in learning about what the economics of the situation are for an author of noir/hardboiled.

For instance is there any feel for what the average noir or hardboiled author would earn on a book that isn't a blockbuster? When you do have a blockbuster or at least something that sells well, how is that defined in terms of what the author is compensated and how many books are sold? By blockbuster or best-seller I would assume we're talking about an Elmore Leonard or Michael Connelly novel vs someone who writes a good novel but who doesn't have huge sales?

I'd appreciate any and all info you Avians can provide.

Thanks,

Mike