Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: (BLACK WINGS HAS...) was: Missing Black Lizard editions

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 20 Jan 2008

Speaking of hard to find items (this seems to be a recurring theme of late), I was recently scouring the Galactic Central website's Magazine section (http://www.philsp.com/magazines.html) for the citation information for an article in THE ARMCHAIR DETECTIVE, and managed to glean the info I needed by reading the article titles on the cover scans.

In the process of doing so, I found (I'm sure to no Rara-Avian's surprise) many other article titles listed on various covers that piqued my interest. My question is this: is there any online source for electronic journals that might carry digital versions of back issues of THE ARMCHAIR DETECTIVE? Since I taught there last year, I have had access to the supply of e-journals provided by my local university, but they do not carry this particular publication.

I've seen a few issues for sale on Amazon but they do not come cheap. The Winter issue for 1981 (Vol. 14, No. 1) with Hammett in partial silhouette on the cover was going for over $300! There is also (or perhaps by now was) a meager selection on E Bay for about $10 or $12 each, one of which I've already bought.

Thanks in advance! Harry